AAP Recommendations for Safe Infant Sleep
- Back to Sleep for every sleep.
- Use a firm sleep surface.
- Room-sharing without bed-sharing.
- Keep soft objects, toys, and loose bedding out of baby’s sleep area.
- Bumper pads should not be used in cribs.
- Pregnant Women should receive regular prenatal care.
- Avoid smoke exposure during pregnancy and after birth.
- Avoid alcohol and illicit drug use during pregnancy and after birth.
- Breastfeeding is recommended.
- Consider offering a clean, dry pacifier at naptime and bedtime.
- Avoid overheating.
- Infants should be immunized accordance with recommendations of the AAP and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Avoid commercial devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Do not use home cardiorespiratory monitors as a strategy to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Supervised, awake tummy time is recommended to facilitate development and to minimize development of a flat head.